WYLD Technote : Creating a Serials Control Record
1. Using the Serial Control toolbar, select the Create Control wizard in the Common Tasks section.
**Right click to confirm the correct Properties settings the first time you use this wizard.**
2. Click on Create Control wizard to open a search window.
3. Search for periodical. Confirm that you have retrieved the correct record.
4. Click the Create Control button as displayed below to begin the process of creating a Control Record.
5. Clicking the Create Control button results in the display of box with additional options, as shown here, if other libraries have also created a serials control record.
6. Click on Create New Control option.
If no other serials control records exist on this bibliographic record, this options window will not display.
7. Select your library and holding code. (Library and a Holding Code can be set as Defaults in Properties of Create Serial Control wizard.) If a new Holding Code is desired, select it from the drop down menu accessed by clicking on the Gadget next to that entry.
8. Click OK button that displays at the bottom of this small window.
9. Select Pattern for frequency of publication if this selection option appears. Not all titles require this step.
10. Default frequency from Bibliographic record will display.
Click OK button to retrieve Control Record template.
Template for New Serial Control Record: Basic Tab
11. System can auto-generate New Control ID with default: AUTO which will be converted to a number.
12. SIAC ID is the ISSN supplied by the system.
13. Add Base Call Number. Use PERIODICAL or MAGAZINE. A real call number can be used instead or an abbreviated version of either PER, MAG, or an abbreviation of the periodical title itself. Using an abbreviation is particularly helpful if both enumeration and chronology are selected to display in the OPAC Display tab. If the base call number is too long, not all of the combined enumeration/chronology will display.
*This Base Call Number is necessary for the system to correctly place the subfield z before the issue information.*
14. Select LCPER as the Class Scheme for reverse display of Issues.
15. Status should be ACTIVE. (Some of these options can be set in the Properties of the Create Serial Control wizard.)
16. Move across to next Tab: Patterns.
**Note: Complete ALL tabs before creating the Control Record.
Template for New Serial Control Record: Patterns Tab
17. Defaults displayed above are for a Monthly Frequency. Limit is 12 issues a year.
18. If not using Enumeration, click on the checkmarks next to the Volume and Number labels to remove those labels.
19. Chronology type default is MONTH. If the serial really doesn't publish 12 issues but has combined issues, use CUSTOM chronology type. Select new chronology type from drop down menu.
**Note: The default Chronology comes from the frequency code in the fixed field of the bibliographic record. If the default Chronology displayed here does not match the frequency of the publication in hand, then the bibliographic record frequency is incorrect. If the publication frequency of the serial changed after the creation of the bibliographic record in WYLD, the bibliographic record won’t reflect that change. This means the bibliographic record needs to be overlaid with an updated OCLC record or corrected manually in WYLD. This mismatch of frequency and Chronology type can result in the generation of error messages when issues are predicted. *When setting the properties on the Create a Serial Control wizard be sure the settings of the Display Bibliographic Description Helper include the option to display the fixed field.
20. "Allow automatic predictions" can be set as an option in the Properties of the Create Serial Control wizard.
21. Publication cycle is correct for a monthly frequency but not for a CUSTOM chronology type. It can be changed by clicking on the Gadget next to that option.
22. Click on the next Tab: OPAC Display if all options here are correct. If Pattern option are not correct, they can be changed to match the frequency for the publication. The steps for creating a Custom Chronology Type are described below.
Template for New Serials Control Record: Patterns Tab (cont.)
Changes necessary for CUSTOM Chronology Type
23. When Custom Chronology Type is chosen from drop down menu, enter chronology in custom list. Separate entries with a comma, no space between entries is required. Use three letter abbreviations for ALL months and seasons….JUN,JUL,AUG,SEP……SUM,SPR.
24. Publication Cycle must be changed to match custom chronology type. Click on Gadget to select new options.
Template for New Serials Control Record: Patterns Tab (cont.) Selecting new Publication Cycle
25. Click on the Gadget next to Publication cycle. The results are in display of window with calendar.
26. Click on Omit Issues Helper in upper left corner of Calendar window to display another new window with options for selecting omissions. This second window is displayed above on the right.
27. Checking each entry that will be omitted places that entry in the description box. The checkmark does not stay next to the entry after it's been placed in the description box.
28. Click the OK button to close this Gadget window after omissions have been selected. This is the window displaying above on the right.
29. Click the OK button to close the calendar and return to Patterns tab.
Template for New Serial Control Record: OPAC Display Tab
30. Automatically Update MARC holdings: This should *never* be checked.
31. Most recently checked in issues display as a 599 note in the bib record in Workflows and in WYLDCAT. In Workflows this note displays the library as a numerical code. In WYLDCAT this note displays on the Catalog Record tab with a prompt for "Recently arrived:"
**Note: If a library stops receiving a periodical, it is beneficial to library users if this 599 tag is removed from the bibliographic record as the mostly recently arrived issue would no longer be the current issue.
32. Form of name to display is how the issue information displays in Workflows and in WYLDCAT. If Both is selected here but only Chronology Type is chosen in the Patterns tab (no Enumeration is chosen), the Month will display twice in the call number in Workflows and in WYLDCAT.
Template for New Serial Control Record: MARC Holdings Tab
33. Click on Sub-wizard to open a window with the option for selecting Library for new MARC Holdings Record.
34. Click OK button after library has been selected.
Default MARC Holdings Template
Subfield "c" is supplied but defaults to REQUIRED FIELD. A valid Holding Location must be supplied.
Completed MARC Holdings Record
If you don’t know the holding location to enter in the 852 tag, click on the Helper, indicated above, to see a drop down listing of available holding locations.
After selecting one, click the OK button
Highlight "REQUIRED FIELD" that appears directly after the subfield c in the 852 tag, as shown in steps 34 and 35. Click on EDIT in the Menu bar and select paste.
The selected holding code will be pasted into the 852 tag replacing "REQUIRED FIELD". **Note: If you decide to type in the holding code instead of pasting it in from the drop down list, the location must be in UPPER CASE.
36. Complete the 866 tag for the summary holdings statement. Include a second indicator of zero.
With the cursor on the 866, hit the tab key once. Hit the space bar once. Type a zero. Hit the tab key again to move the cursor to the text area. Enter in UPPER case the holdings statement.
**Note: There are two 866 tags in the examples of steps 34 and 35. If additional 866 tags are desired, right click on one of the existing tags to reveal the drop down options to add a new tag. Select where you want the new tag to appear. A new blank tag line will appear in the location selected. Enter the 866 tag number and complete the tag line as described above.
37. Click the Save button to save the new MARC Holdings Record. Then click the Close button to return to the Serials Control Record.
MARC Holdings Tab
Deleting MARC Holdings Record / Editing MARC Holdings Record
Deleting: Use the Delete Sub-wizard to retrieve the window shown above on the left. Place a checkmark in the box next to your library. Click Delete Holdings button.
Editing: To open the edit window (displayed above on the right), click on the raised bar with your library’s MARC Holdings entry.
Template for Serials Control Record: MARC Holdings Tab (cont.)
Linking MARC Holdings Record to Serials Control Record
38. Click on Link Helper to open the selection window shown.
39. Place a checkmark next to your library’s entry.
40. Click Link button to link your library’s MARC holdings record to your library’s serials control record.
Template for New Serials Control Record: Subscription Tab
41. Defaults for the subscription of a monthly publication are displayed above.
**Note: The number of copies to receive can be set in the Properties of the Create a Serial Control wizard. (Right click on the wizard to set properties).
If using Acquisitions, enter information in Fiscal cycle and Vendor ID.
42. Move on to the Distribution tab.
Template for New Serials Control Record: Distribution Tab
43. Use Modify a Distribution Sub-wizard to make changes. The Holding Code can be changed here.
44. If checking in barcoded issues, change the number of Copies to Add.
**Note: These options can be set in the Properties of the Create a Serial Control wizard.
45. Click Modify Distribution button to close.
Use the Delete a Distribution Sub-wizard (next to the Modify a Distribution button) to remove a distribution.
46. Skip to Extended Info tab.
Template for New Serials Control Record: Extended Info Tab
47. Use NOTE area for staff notes. This note will display when checking in this title.
Use PHYSFORM to enter MICROFICHE, etc. This physical format will *not* display to the public.
Use down arrows next to prompts to change name of prompt.
Use Sub-helpers to add a new note either before or after an existing note prompt. The prompt description will have to be selected when the new prompt is added.
(If only a single note prompt has been used and later you wish to delete that note using the Modify a Serial Control wizard, it will be necessary to use one of the “Insert row” helpers to add a line back in to activate the Delete helper.)
48. If serial is to be routed to staff, click on Routing tab. If no routing is desired, click on Expected tab.
Template for New Serials Control Record: Routing Tab
49. Click on Create a Routing Sub-wizard to open a window for the creation of routing list.
50. Enter User barcode in User ID and set rank for that user.
51. Use the Gadget next to the User ID datawell to search for a user name or barcode.
52. Click Create Routing button and first user in routing list will be added.
Continue adding users to routing list.
53. When finished, return to Expected Tab.
Template for New Serials Control Record: Expected Tab
Create Control Record and Generate Predictions
54. Click on Create Control button.
A window for generating multiple predictions will display as shown above.
This example is for a monthly publication therefore 12 issues are set for the number to preview.
55. If enumeration was selected in Patterns Tab, prompts will be shown here for entry of enumeration.
56. Enter Chronology using abbreviations that match those that the system uses. The system abbreviates all months with the first three letters. E.g. JAN 2009 JUN 2009 JUL 2009 SEP 2009
Refer to the TechNote on Abbreviations for Call Number Information for additional examples:
57. Use the Gadgets to enter Date of Prediction and Date Expected.
58. Click Generate Predictions button.
Template for New Serials Control Record: Expected Tab (cont.)
Newly created predictions will display.
59. If correct, click Save Predictions button.
If predictions are not accurate, Click Redo Predictions button to re-create them.
Template for New Serials Control Record: Expected Tab
60. Confirmation window displays when Save Predictions button has been chose.
61. Click OK button in Confirmation window.
62. Click Close button.
Creation of new serials control record is complete.
If desired, it is possible to create a single prediction instead of a number of predicted issues.
Template for New Serials Control Record: Expected Tab
Create a Single Prediction
The Expected tab will be blank until Predictions are created.
A single prediction can be created by clicking on the Sub-wizard to Create a Single Prediction.
This results in the display of a prediction template that must be completed with information for the issue being predicted.
Click Create Prediction button.